Here Comes the Cooler Temperature
The fall weather has come to an end, bringing cooler temperatures to Pittsburgh and the surrounding area. Because our fall weather yielded temperatures that were warmer than average, many are just beginning to make full use of their heating systems, as well as looking to save money on home heating bills. Regardless of which method you use to heat your home, there are a few simple tips that you can follow to avoid the cold winter drafts and maximize the amount of heat that you keep in your home.
- Ensure that your furnace filters are clean, and replace them as needed – in the winter, it is recommended that you change a furnace filter every 4 to 6 weeks.
- Your warm-air registers, radiators and baseboard heaters should be clean, with nothing blocking any vents. Anything that obstructs the flow of heat into your home can result in a higher heating bill.
- Check to see whether there are any air leaks from the outside to the basement, or from heated spaces in your home into the attic. If there are any leaks, they should be sealed tightly to ensure that the warm air cannot escape through them.
- Storm doors and windows are an ideal way to maintain a comfortable temperature in your home. Weatherstripping them during the winter months helps to keep warm air from escaping.
- Your pipes and ducts surrounding your heating system and hot water heater should be insulated, as well as your attic, walls, basement and crawl spaces. These are the places where cold weather invades, which can significantly affect your heating costs.
- If using a wood-burning fireplace, be sure that you close the damper when it is not in use.
In addition, having an annual inspection and tuneup of your heating system will ensure that it is operating at maximum efficiency, as well as detecting any problems before they become costly ones. Nothing is more inconvenient than having your heating system break down in the middle of the winter, when HVAC companies are busy performing maintenance and repairs all across the Pittsburgh area. Detecting a problem during an annual inspection ensures that you won’t have to go without heat when you most need it.
Pittsburgh’s Best offers prompt, around-the-clock service, with quick estimates and the highest level of integrity, ensuring that you get the service you need at the prices you deserve. In addition to our regular HVAC and Plumbing Services, we offer Air Conditioning and Gas Furnace Maintenance plans, to ensure that your systems are operating safely and efficiently. For more information, contact us today – we offer 24-hour service 7 days a week.