Preventing Frozen Pipes
The winter weather has arrived in Pittsburgh, and with it the cold temperatures, which can wreak havoc on your plumbing. As the property owner, you bear the responsibility of protecting your pipes as well as any damage which may occur. If you have ever experienced frozen pipes or know anyone who has, then you are aware that the damage can be considerable, as well as the expenses involved in fixing them and any resulting damage.
A property’s pipes and meters are located either against exterior walls or in unheated basements or crawlspaces, which leaves them vulnerable to the extreme winter temperatures in Pittsburgh. When the temperature dips to freezing level, the metal pipes contract as the water contained inside expands, which is what causes them to burst. Fortunately, there are steps you can take to help prevent the costly repairs associated with plumbing repairs that are a result of frozen pipes, listed below:
- If the temperature is predicted to dip below freezing level, allow the water in your sinks to run at a slow drip. While this may not coincide with water conservation, allowing a slow trickle of water to run will allow the water to continuously run through the pipes and prevent them from freezing.
- Keep your garage door(s) closed to prevent any pipes located in the garage from freezing.
- Open the cabinet doors in your kitchen and bathrooms to allow the heat from inside your home to reach your pipes.
- Keep the thermostat set to the same temperature during the day and at night.
- If you need to leave home for an extended period of time, make sure that your thermostat is not set any lower than 55 degrees.
If you see signs that your pipes have frozen, do not ignore it. Pipes will not thaw by simply being left alone. Once a pipe has frozen, there is a very good chance that it will break or leak. If this happens, shut the water off at the master shut-off valve as quickly as possible to prevent flooding and water damage.
If you experience frozen water pipes, contact Pittsburgh’s Best, Pittsburgh’s go-to plumbing experts. We are a full-service plumbing company with the tools and the experience to handle frozen pipe emergency repairs, as well as all of Pittsburgh’s plumbing, heating and air conditioning needs!